Saturday 13 December 2008

Burgundy palate

They say you develop a Burgundy palate, meaning after spending too long here you only like Pinot Noir. I say they might be right.  However, one of the things I love most about wine is how much variety there is so I am determined to keep my palate well traveled and occasionally venture to other regions. Given that I live in France that is likely to be limited to French wines at the moment - not a total disaster of course.

Anyway, last night it was a 2005 Chateau Balac (Bordeaux, Haut Medoc AC - 8 Euros), nice deep red colour with an interesting nose of dark ripe fruits, a hint of cheese and some strawberry yoghurt. Unfortunately it was slightly corked which I only picked up on the palate and from then on I was a little sad. But despite that the tannins were fine and it was well defined and structured.

No comments:

Post a Comment