Saturday 21 February 2009

Au revoir la Bourgogne

That's it.  No work and the ensuing frustration have meant it's time to leave this place and give somewhere else a go.  It's been 3 months since the end of vintage and that is more than I can take in terms of job searching and not working (I lack a little patience).  So it's off for vintage in NZ (Marlborough) where I hope to see many beautiful grapes needing neither sugar nor acid to make lovely wine (we shall see!!).

But I am sad.  After all this is one of, if not the greatest wine region in the world.  So I gave myself a little leaving treat by riding to my favourite village, Pernand-Vergelesses just beneath the classic vineyards of Corton Charlemagne.  First I rode up the very steep hill to the lookout of Notre Dame de Bonne Esperance.  Having recovered from that exertion I returned to La Grappe de Pernand for a glass of white Pernand-Vergelesses Village (3.30 Euros - nice minerality as is the trademark of this village but acid a bit all over the shop) and a blanquette de veau (delicious with a touch of lemon rind added for pizzazz).

The blanquette was washed down with an '03 Dubreuil-Fontaine Pere et Fils Clos du Roi (Burgundy, Corton Clos du Roi Grand Cru, 72 Euros).


I was a little worried about the vintage (ridiculously hot) and the nose was indeed very ripe but still in control and throwing out lovely ripe red fruits that were jammy but in a good way.  Like the jam your Mum/Gran made that actualy still smelled like the fresh fruits rather than some kind of miserable sugary concoction.  On the palate is was delicious, dead set delicious.  The tannins were a little rustic (vintage effect) but still fine grained and the fruit intensity was incredible, mouth-filling, well structured, juicy and with that touch of fruit sweetness that seems to be the go for good reds in the surrounding villages (Aloxe, Pernand, Savigny).  A thoroughly enjoyed and dare I say it, well deserved treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment